At least 2 million vehicles will be travelling daily on the highways of PLUS around Peninsular Malaysia during the final week of the year, especially this weekend and the following one.
For a smoother journey, the highway concessionaire advises motorists to plan their trips and start off at the right time to start joining the highway from where they are. The times are shown in the My-TTA digital schedule in the PLUS App throughout the festive season.
Maintenance work suspended
PLUS is also proactively making other preparations to manage increased traffic. Between December 20 2023 and January 1, 2024, road maintenance works will not be carried out to avoid disrupting traffic flow. Only emergency works will be carried out if immediate action is necessary for the safety of highway users.
Smart Lane activation
Depending on traffic conditions, Smart Lanes will be activated at certain sections along the North-South Expressway. The sections are as follow:
- Between Utara Senai Junction and Kulai Junction (KM19.0 to KM27.0 – North Direction) from December 22, 2023 to January 1, 2024 (between 8:00 am and 6:00 pm)
- Between Port Dickson Junction and Seremban Junction (KM260.0 to KM263.1 – North Direction) on December 23 to 25 December 2023 and from December 29, 2023 to January 1, 2024 (between 9:00 am and 10:00 pm).
- Between Gua Tempurung and Gopeng (KM306.7 to KM297.0 – North Direction)
- Between Slim River and Sungkai (KM366.8 to KM354.0 – North Direction)
- From Rawang R&R to Sungai Buaya Intersection (KM439.5 – KM435.5 – North Direction)
Motorists are advised to observe signs which will indicate when Smart Lanes are active so they can make use of the additional lanes aimed at easing the congestion that may occur at certain times.
PLUSRonda patrols to offer assistance
PLUS will also have more PLUSRonda patrols along the highway to assist motorists who have problems. Should your vehicle have a problem, pull over in the emergency lane if you cannot make it to a R&R or lay-by. Switch on the hazard warning lights. If you or your passengers leave the vehicle, be sure to stand far away from the road, preferably behind the barriers.
It is likely that a PLUSRonda patrol will come by to provide assistance. If not, you can call the 24-hour PLUSLine – 1800 88 0000 – for help. Should you be unable to call, there are also emergency phones along the highway at 2-km intervals. Remember to walk as far away as possible from the road.
Take a break when drowsy
Be sure that you are alert during your drive. If you feel drowsy or tried, stop at a lay-by or R&R to get some rest before continuing. Being late at your destination is better than not arriving at all.
Have a safe journey!